Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reflection on "Non-Stop News"

“When do you have time to sort through data and information and do your own research…we are hostages to the non-stop, never-ending, file it now, get it on the web, get in on the radio, get it on the TV media environment”. This passage from the article “Non-Stop News” by Ken Auletta is very interesting. It sums up a lot of what Auletta is trying to convey in his article. This particular passage Auletta is quoting a reporter, Peter Baker. In his passage Baker talks a lot about the presidents and how our views of them can change through the media. Baker’s passage in Auletta’s article is linking how the continuous feature of the news is distorting those thoughts. With articles and more desire to publish then to get straight facts this new media can be inaccurate or only revealing certain parts of the story.
In this passage, I think the mayor word is “non-stop” because with technology today that’s really how our society works. It is constant and instant, not just with news but with everything. Even looking at fast food industries they thrive because that is what is desired constant and instant. When I look at fast food I know it’s not good for me, it’s not full of nutrition and it doesn’t fill me up, I’ll be hungry again soon after I eat it. It’s quick to get so therefore that is why I will choose it over making something at home. If I look at news in the same way, it is not filling; it leaves out vital pieces of the story. In the long run if all society wants is the quick and easy story not digging deep into the whole picture we are always going to be hungry for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment