Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Schools Kill Creativity: Silent Diologue

In his lecture "How Schools Kill Creativity" Ken Robinson states that "creativity should be as important in education as literacy," and that "dance is as important as neuroscience." What he means by this is that Artistic schools of thought are just as important as their more emphasized counterparts. Robinson believes that the way the education system is set up stifles creativity that children possess inherintly. Robinson says that the traditional education system molds us into people who are frightened of making mistakes, and believes it is detremental in the long run. Robinson emphasizes the thought that "If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything original." While Robinson clearly states that Math, Science, Language etcetera is important to a degree what he worries is that we're just not paying enough homage to the arts. Robinson believes that intelligence is in his words made up of 3 qualities: it is distinct, dynamic and diverse and if we cater to only one side of the spectrum a lot of kids who are truly talented will be left behind thinking they're not good enough, because their talents havn't been embraced by the current education system. I would have to agree with Robinson, when i was in middle school and high school I could barely pass my classes but somehow turned up straight A's in music. My lack of production in the traditional classes made me feel like there was something wrong with me, like I couldn't produce like I should. I feel like had my talents been embraced I might have had a more confident youth and not felt as much like a failure. I think if more people were educated on the subject it might be easier for society to embrace a change in the current system.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah i too hate the fact that our talents go to waste in public education as our schools don't embrace our talents such as music, but care more about english and math. But what if you don't want a career in those subject, it doesn't make you any less intelligent if you don't master those skills or not.

    ReplyDelete