Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ken Robinson question response

Education could be altered to incorporate Gatto’s and Robinson’s ideas by putting less of an emphasis on writing and math and let children learn what they want to learn about. Robinson also thinks that arts shouldn’t be ranked the lowest on the hierarchy of subjects because it allows students to become more creative. How children are graded should also be changed because they system we have now basically ranks them and puts them in separate groups depending on how well they did what was asked of them. Society would benefit from this because there would be more critical thinking and creativity. I think the greatest challenge in doing this is we would basically have to dismantle the education system we have now and start from scratch.

3 comments:

  1. How would the children be divided then? I agree that society would benefit from this! It would take a long, long time and people don't like change. Along with time it would cost money, and we don't have the money. America is in debt trillions of dollars. I believe that it would be a positive change! This makes me wonder about alternitive ways of education and if any of them meet your criteria?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you that the way to change this problem would be to dismantle the education system and start from scratch, but I also think it's a lot more plausible than it sounds. In order to make something like this happen we would have to look at why schools are being alocated the funding they are... NCBL is a complete counter to what I think we should be going for. NCBL forces schools into putting more of an emphasis on math, grammar and sciences and completely ignores the arts. As far as I know schools funding is not riding on their students ability to act, sing, dance, paint, sculpt, or play music, which is a sad reality and needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think certain classes should still be inforced such as math and writing? I agree that other subjects should be equally important but math and writing still relate to almost everything and is a biggggg part of the real world. Sadly i hate to write and would rather express myself through art but sadly drawing a picture on my resume wont get me a job :(

    ReplyDelete