Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Need For Education Reforms

What I believe that Robinson is saying in his speech is that even though we are placing things like math and history above them, art and dramas and the like are just as important to our society. What he means by this is that not everyone wants to go to school to become a scientist or a mathematician; some go to learn how to express themselves or to satisfy a drive within themselves. In my opinion he is making these large claims to support a large belief. This is what he believes in and has taken the time to do a little research, showing that he cares and knows what he is talking about. He has seen the results of this system and the amount of “learning impairments” that students are diagnosed with in this age. As he said, his friend who is a famous dancer was thought to have a learning disability because she would not stay still, and now she is a millionaire because of it. I have to agree with Sir Robinson on the points of no creativity in school. For myself in school I mostly only pay attention in my History class. This is what attracts my attention and drags me in. In my geology and my math class, not so much, I start falling asleep, I get bored, draw, and write, anything to escape what I don’t care about. There would have to be very many changes to our school system and not so much to our society. The school systems would have to shift to the students and on what they want and stop caring so much on making them uniform and consumers. A lot more attention would need to be given to the future and on what kids want. They would have to be prepared for jobs just coming into existence and for specialty jobs, not something you get from just learning math. There would have to be a huge paradigm shift in the hierarchy in the education and social systems to give the kids a chance.

1 comment:

  1. i think you have a good point but how are you supposed to know what your interested in untill you take a variety of classes. I think high school does that pretty well. i do think that maybe they should offer more classes so that you can excell in your interested feild or subject.

    ReplyDelete