Monday, February 28, 2011

R R 6

In the article “Jesus is a Brand of Jeans,” written by Jean Kilbourne, he talks about how products are replacing the connection with human relationships. The products are that person you want it to be. Kilbourne says, “the proposition to promise us a relationship with the product itself: buy this and it will love you,” is an example of how advertisement is working in today’s consumer world.
I am of two minds on this article. Kilbourne is talking about how products are idolized and put on a pedestal. If you are of Christian or Catholic belief, the title would probably be offensive. The church I go to, the pastor has talked about this subject matter. He gave an example of how this truck ad made him idolized this truck. It was so shiny; it could go thru anything in its path. The pastor wanted it. So he went in to how you are not to worship and idolize anything but God. You are somewhat worshiping the product, or coveting your neighbor for having that product. You have to keep up with the Jones’ is the famous expression that some people use in today’s society. My dad and the next door neighbor were perfect example of this as I was growing up. My grandma died and my dad got a good inheritance. So he bought a brand new Bay liner boat. So my next door neighbor bought a new boat too. My dad then bought a new car. So guess what the neighbor did, he bought a new car and commented that he had to keep up with us. I never understood this concept. It might be a guy’s thing. I am glad I never got in to frame of mind. Products don’t affect me as much as it does some people. I never have the money to worry about the newest things or the brands of clothing. Not with the price of gas it is, or how every time I turn around the price of food or the price of utilities are going up. If the minimum wage goes up, everything goes up too and my wage stays the same. Pretty soon minimum wage will be at my wage, and I would have to go into another line of work. But today, I can see why the majority of people buy brand named items with the advertising they do today. For example, the way they make the M&M’s real people. You might want to ask yourself the question, how would you try to sell a product today without using this style of advertising Kilbourne suggests?

No comments:

Post a Comment