Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reading Response 4

In Sir Ken Robinsons video “How School kills Creativity” his main claim is that “creativity is as important in education as literacy.” In school today many teachers think that subjects like math, science, and writing are the most important things to have children learn. Sir Robinson believes that “if you are not prepared to be wrong then you will never come up with anything original” Sir Robinson believes that we are educating kids and not letting them think out of the box, so they become “educated out of their creative capacity.

In my experience I agree strongly with Sir Robinson, I came into elementary school in the fourth grade, from being previously homeschooled. I love to be creative, paint and draw and when I was homeschooled I was able to do that anytime I wanted, maybe even too much! When I went to elementary school many of the other classes were making art projects fairly often but my teacher basically never did that with us, which looking back was such a shame, at that age it’s so important to be able to show your creativity. At any age it’s important to be creative. Many times during teachers boring lectures I find my self doodling and drawing all over my notebook and by the end of class, there are more drawing then actual notes. It’s almost like my mind is bursting with creativity that needs to get out, but with busy classes and schedules I feel that people forget the importance of expressing yourself with creativity. The best artists that I have known are the students who get in trouble, struggle in subjects like math, science and English and skip class. Then when you see what they can do in art class, your amazed by the true talent they have, their minds may not be built for school subjects but I feel like the education systems find that hard to notice. On the other hand of course main subjects are important for success depending on the career choice a person chooses but bringing more creative opportunities give chances for some students to shine and show everyone what unique talent they have. In my opinion being good in school subjects doesn’t always make you smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment