Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reading Response #4

Svetlana Golovach
Eng. 100
Anna Wolff
Reading Response #4
02.09.11


Why do schools in today’s society ignore creativity? This was basically the main topic in Sir Ken Robinson’s video about education. Those schools are making students be afraid of making mistakes when in reality we all make mistakes and without making mistakes people wouldn’t be creative in the first place. Therefore I think that it is crucial for the schooling system or routine to be changed and for people to have a chance to be creative. I agree with Robinson that the schooling system is taking away students creativity and making students be afraid of making mistakes because in my experience I do agree with this. I have noticed that whenever I make a mistake the teachers seems to make a big deal about it. I think that every single person on this planet makes mistakes therefore it shouldn’t be considered as a big deal.
What I think Sir Ken Robinson means by dance being as important as neuroscience is that schools today are placing math and languages before drama and dancing. He is saying that not everyone is going to want to major is math or any kind of sciences because there are people out in the world who are dancers, creative and love drama but aren’t getting “the spotlight.” I do most definitely agree with him because I am personally a very artsy and creative person and I do feel that it’s not that important every time I walk into my High School. I had signed up for Art classes ever year of High School and was never put in it. Whether it might have been bad luck or not, I didn’t feel like Art was that important even though I knew inside that it was my passion. I do hope that one day it will be one of the important subjects in school and people will go with what they love instead of what they have to love. I think that by doing this, people will start to see changes not only in schools but in the community. There might be amazing dancers that finally get to dance and artist that get to publish their work and all sorts of other amazing things we never had the chance to see as much as people would love to. The teachers would have to shift their attention of the subjects they were being taught are most important, and start giving their attention to other very important subjects that haven’t been brought out the way they should have been.
Sir Ken Robinson states in his video that, “Education takes us into future we cannot grasp.” I love this quote because it makes me think very deeply about our future and how schooling today affects it or the effects of it. I think if the schooling system were to change then people would see many changes in their communities like, more artistic displays, more jobs and people just being more happier in general. Therefore, I hope there will be a change in society soon and I hope people will get the best education they possibly can in their lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment