Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reading Response 4

In Sir Ken Robinson’s video on “How Schools Kill Creativity,” his central claim is that we are educating people out of their creative capacity. By schools prioritizing math and English’s as the most important, they are leaving out subjects that give students the ability to expand their creativity and study things they enjoy. Schools are making essential decisions for students and it is no longer allowing them to have a voice. I think one of his subsequent claims that supports this is when he states, “If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with anything original.” As we grow older, our fear of being wrong grows with us and holds us back from new inventions and excitement. He claims that corporations are stigmatizing mistakes and we are now running national education systems where mistakes are the worst thing you can make. The more okay you are with making a mistake, the more willing you will be to make them. Mistakes are not the same as creativity, but the concept of being creative and making mistakes is all the same. Another one of his claims is when he believes our academic ability has come to dominate our view of intelligence. He also goes on to say very talented and creative individuals think they’re not because the things they are good at haven’t been valued in schools anywhere around the world. Regardless of if we are good at things such as art or dance they aren’t being recognized. There are so many successful people in those sort of professions, but nobody takes time to notice. Schools have drilled into students heads what they need to focus on that’s not up for discussion. It has put a stop to the ability and desire for creativity.
I agree with Sir Ken Robinson that schools are educating people out of their creative capacity. When going to school by choice, there is more motivation and desire to want to go and learn new things. While I was in elementary school and middle school, getting good grades was very important to me. As I entered high school, all of a sudden school became a struggle and I didn’t care anymore. I almost didn’t even end up graduating, but thankfully I did. All the classes that were required I had no interest in. I never wanted to go, let alone do some work outside of class. For some reason because I had to go and had to take these classes I didn’t want to take, I was motivated not too. After I graduated high school, I took the summer off and then fall quarter as well. I liked being free and doing what I wanted how I wanted. Then thinking about my future set it, I didn’t want to work in the same job unhappy all the time, I wanted a career. I took the step myself and wasn’t forced into anything. I do my homework and go to class because I want too, not because I have too. I think that is the main reason why I’m so on top of my school work and grades. Because it is my own choice now and I have more freedom to study what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment